This is my favorite bench overlooking the intercostal waterway near Sarasota, Florida.
If you’re like me, sometimes stress can get to you. Without warning you may feel tense, frustrated, hopeless, angry, resentful…like an internal bomb is about to go off and you’re not sure why, what caused it, and what the best coping strategy is.
My recommendation, is to find a bench like this one and start with the basics.
Figure out which emotions you need to let go of; and the positive emotions you would like to replace them with. Like all things, there is an ebb and flow to life; this is true in this situation as well. Here’s the other thing – only you know how to navigate the ebb and flow of you feel.
Only you know what emotions you need to let go of; and which are the best ones to “take in”. AND – take them in, don’t just say them, FEEL them. Life is short, there’s no time to fool yourself or diminish your potential.
Here are just a few suggestions you may want to consider:
- Breathe out anger; breathe in calmness
- Breathe out frustration; breathe in serenity
- Breathe out fear; breathe in faith
- Breathe out self-centeredness; breathe in love
- Breathe out shame; breathe in hope
- Breathe out sadness; breathe in joy
- Breathe out pain (no matter what type it is); breathe in strength
- Breathe out vindictiveness; breathe in compassion
- Breathe out loneliness; breathe in trust
- Breathe out turbulence; breathe in contentment
Most importantly just breathe, take the time you need to redirect your emotions and your thoughts to make them work for you instead of against you and, most importantly, remember it’ll all be okay.